I love cilantro. In our house, we mainly use it for guacamole which my family loves – we devour an entire bowl in minutes. But when I received an enormous bunch of beautiful, fresh cilantro in my farm share, I needed another recipe beyond guacamole. This recipe from the Golden Earthworm Organic Farm website is quick, easy, and delicious. I serve the pesto over pasta.
- 1/3 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- 1-2 cloves garlic, or more, to taste
- 1 large bunch cilantro, roots and larger stems trimmed, washed and dried
- Squeeze of ½ lime
- ¼-1/2 cup olive oil (can use 1/2 stock)
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place nuts and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add cilantro and lime, and pulverize. Process until you’ve got a coarse-looking puree. Add oil, going gradually; stop machine and taste for herb/oil ratio. Add more if it feels “dry.”
- Scrape down sides of bowl as needed, and transfer pesto to a small mixing bowl. Fold in cheese, and season with salt & pepper. Makes about 1 cup, maybe more.
Source: The Washington Post, via Golden Earthworm Organic Farm