- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
- 2 large egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (preferably on convection), with racks in upper and lower thirds. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup maple syrup and egg yolks. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture.
- Drop batter by tablespoons (preferably with a cookie scoop), 3 inches apart, onto baking sheets. Using a flat-bottomed glass or dry measuring cup dipped in flour, flatten cookies to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake until golden at edges, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool. While the cookies are still warm, use a spoon to make an indentation for the glaze.
4. In a small saucepan, simmer 1 cup maple syrup until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 6 minutes on a small burner. Spoon over cookies. Lightly sprinkle with coarse salt to enhance the maple flavor.