This is the easiest cake I have ever made, and it is delicious. The recipe is from Lucinda Scala Quinn’s “Mad Hungry” cookbook, via Everyday Food. I used a 9×9 pan and the cake was done after 25 minutes on convection. I used my favorite buttercream recipe which is from Food and Wine.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan, whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and coarse salt.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and add vegetable oil, pure vanilla extract, white vinegar, and cold water. Whisk until well combined.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 minutes (for a 9-inch square pan on convection) to 40 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
For the Buttercream Icing:
- 6 T unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of coarse salt
- 2 T heavy cream or milk
- sprinkles, for garnish, optional
- Mix the butter on medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt and mix until combined.
- Add cream and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
Note: One batch makes 12 standard cupcakes (sunflower version below). Bake for 17 to 18 minutes.