This is a wonderful, healthy and hearty chili. Top with chopped fresh cilantro, red onions, and grated sharp cheddar cheese. We served it at my mom’s 75th birthday party with margaritas, chips and guacamole, cornbread, and all of the chili toppings, of course. Fun! This recipe is from Bon Appetit.
- PREP: 45 minutes; TOTAL: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 cups (packed) coarsely chopped Swiss chard leaves (from 1 small bunch)
- cilantro, chopped red onion, and grated sharp cheddar, for serving
- cornbread, for serving, optional
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté until tender and golden, about 9 minutes.
Add squash; stir 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Stir in beans, broth, and tomatoes with juices; bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes.