This is such an easy and healthy weeknight meal. I modified the recipe by using canned San Marzano plum tomatoes, boneless skinless chicken thighs, coconut oil, and by increasing the garlic, of course. 😉 I also doubled the recipe.
We ate it served over brown Basmati rice with roasted asparagus on the side. It would also be delicious with pasta. This recipe was adapted from Everyday Food.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 2- 28 oz canned plum tomatoes (I used Cento brand San Marzano tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut or vegetable oil
- 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 yellow or vidalia onions, thinly sliced or diced (about 2 cups)
- 10 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 5-6 sprigs fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees on convection roast.
- In a food processor, pulse onions until coarsely chopped. Remove and pulse tomatoes until coarsely chopped. (I chopped one 28 oz can at a time.)
- In a large ovenproof skillet, (I used enameled cast iron) heat oil over medium to medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook, until golden and crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and cook 1 minute. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and oregano, then transfer skillet to oven. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and adjust seasonings. Serve over rice or pasta.