This is my gold standard acorn squash recipe. I love it. I could eat it alone as a meal with salad! I make it every time I get an acorn squash in my CSA box.
- 2 acorn squash, halved lengthwise or crosswise, seeded, and bottoms trimmed to lie flat if necessary
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, preferably on convection roast. Prick the entire cut surface of the squash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 T maple syrup and 1/2 T butter in the cavity of each squash. Sprinkle fresh thyme over the top.
- Roast 40-50 minutes, basting occasionally, until the top is brown and the flesh is soft.
- Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired. Serve.