My husband really wanted to have quesadillas for the Super Bowl this year. My daughter had a plain cheese quesadilla, and the rest of us had mushroom and red onion- with bacon. I used a mixture of pepper jack and Monterey Jack cheeses, and made them on whole wheat handmade tortillas from Trader Joe’s (my favorite). I have great success cooking them on our cast iron panini press, preheated on low, and I served them with brown basmati rice, refried beans, and avocado slices. This recipe is from Martha Stewart Living- I just added the bacon (optional).
Sautéed Mushroom Filling with Epazote
Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced red onion (1 small onion)
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, stems trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp epazote or dried oregano
- Juice of 1 lemon
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-low heat; add olive oil. When hot, add onion; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and epazote; cook until mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, season with salt and pepper.
- Pair with queso fresco, Monterey Jack, and guacamole.