I love Top Chef! When I saw this recipe from Food and Wine, I had to make it. This recipe was contributed by Spike Mendelsohn (A former Top Chef contestant). It read “Spike Mendelsohn was inspired by the new beehive in the White House garden to make these lovely, not-too-sweet muffins.” I actually found them to be quite sweet- in a good way. I did not add the coriander, and added 1 tsp vanilla to the batter. We enjoyed them for our Valentine’s Day breakfast.
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
2. In another bowl, whisk the honey with the buttermilk, canola oil and eggs. Pour the honey mixture into the dry ingredients; mix just until combined.
3. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for about (about 15 minutes on convection) 18 minutes, until they’re golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.