- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into thin slices
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white Basmati rice
- 1 2/3 cups unsweetened coconut milk (one 13-ounce can)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
2. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the coriander, cumin, rice, and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Stir in the coconut milk and the water. Add the chicken and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring the rice two or three times, until the rice and chicken are almost done, about 20 minutes. Stir in the zucchini, cover, and cook until done, about 7 minutes longer. Stir the lemon or lime juice and cilantro into the rice.