The other night, I distracted myself from the torrential downpour outside by perusing some of my favorite food blogs. I found a quick recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins on My Favourite Pastime. They looked so tasty that I sent the author a note! She told me that they could be made in 20 minutes and encouraged me to make them right away. 🙂 Done!
I modified the recipe by using 4 oz of whole wheat flour (because that is what I do), and a combination of milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips (because I didn’t have any white chocolate chips). I baked them for 17 minutes at 375 degrees in a convection oven. Everyone loved them. Another great use for super-ripe bananas!
Yield: 12 standard muffins or 48 mini-muffins
- 250g (2 cups, 9oz) all-purpose flour (**I used 4 oz whole wheat flour & 5 oz all-purpose)
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 150g (⅔ cup, 5½oz) sugar
- 100 g (1/2 cup, 40z) chocolate chips (bits)
- 2 eggs
- 375 g (1½ cups) mashed banana (=3 large bananas)
- 125 g (½ cup, 4 oz, 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 60 ml (¼ cup, 2 fl oz) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Brush a 12-hole, medium, muffin tin (pan) with melted butter or oil, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift or whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add sugar and chocolate chips. Mix thoroughly and make a well in the center.
- Beat eggs, mashed banana, melted butter and buttermilk until thoroughly mixed. Add banana mixture to the well, stir until combined (do not over mix).
- Spoon mixture (I used a cookie scoop.) evenly into prepared tin and bake at 375 (190°c) for 15 minutes on convection or up to 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
Note: 1/2 a recipe (& using mini chocolate chips) makes 24 mini muffins (bake for 10-12 minutes). A perfect snack!