This is an Asian inspired noodle dish adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Field of Greens: New Vegetarian Recipes from the Celebrated Greens Restaurant by Annie Somerville. It is so “out of the box” for me! I don’t make a lot of Asian food…. but we do eat a lot of pasta. 🙂
I first made this dish when I received baby bok choy in my CSA box and didn’t know what to do with it. Now, I’m hooked on this recipe. It has so many wonderful fresh flavors- bok choy, shiitakes, fresh ginger, cilantro, scallions- not to mention the flavor from the peanut and sesame oils. It also has a spicy kick from the jalapeño. Super tasty.
Serves 2 to 4
- 1/4 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 large or 2-3 small heads of bok choy or 6+ baby bok choy
- coarse salt
- 6 ounces thin dried buckwheat or soba noodles
- 2 T peanut oil
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2/3 T grated fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chile, seeded, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1-2 scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1 T dark sesame oil
- 2 T mirin (sweet cooking sake)
- 2 T light soy sauce
- 2 T coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp sesame seed, toasted, optional
- Set a large pot of water on the stove to boil.
- Remove the mushroom stems and cut the caps into 1/2-inch slices. (The stems can be saved for stock.)
- For small heads of bok choy, slice the stem lengthwise, leaving leaf and stem together. For a large head, slice the stems diagonally, 3/4-inch thick, and slice the leaves into 2-inch wide ribbons.
- When the water boils, add 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the noodles and cook as directed on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the peanut oil in a large sauté pan; add the shiitake mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the garlic, ginger, chilies, and bok choy and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta in a colander when it is just tender. Reduce the heat under the sauté pan and add the scallion, sesame oil, mirin, and soy sauce. Quickly add the noodles, taking care not to overcook the bok choy.
- Remove from the heat, toss the noodles with the vegetables and cilantro, and season with salt to taste, if necessary. Sprinkle with the sesame seed, if using.