Growing up, I went to the beaches on the Delaware and Maryland shores with my family and with friends. We would always stop at a roadside farm stand to get Silver Queen corn on the drive to get there. It was the BEST fresh corn. I think that I’ve loved summer corn ever since. Long Island has some great fresh corn as well. 🙂 This is a wonderful and quick side dish for a summer meal, especially a grilled meal. The corn is really showcased. This is an adaptation and combination of recipes from Two Peas & Their Pod and Annie’s Cooking Lab. We used the leftover salad as part of a burrito filling, but it could also be eaten as a dip with tortilla chips. GREAT.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup Campari and grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 2 avocados, seed removed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shuck the corn. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then salt. Cook the corn in the salted boiling water for 2 minutes, then turn off the heat and quickly remove the corn from the water.
- Place the corn on the grill and turn occasionally until a few of the kernels are blackened, about 8 to 12 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Use a knife to remove the corn kernels and place them in a large bowl. Add the cilantro, jalapeño, red onion, tomatoes and lime juice. Carefully stir until combined. Salt and pepper to taste, then chill. Add avocado just prior to serving.