This is the most simple appetizer- I remember eating it at every restaurant in Barcelona. I served it with the toppings already on the bread. Another option is to serve the grilled bread with a clove of garlic, half of a tomato, olive oil and salt on the side. This recipe was adapted from The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen.
- 4 fresh, very ripe tomatoes cut in half
- 4 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 8 slices country-style bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
- extra-virgin olive oil
- coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Arrange the bread slices on the hot grate and grill until nicely browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
- Rub each bread slice with cut garlic followed by cut tomato. Discard the tomato skin.
- Drizzle each slice with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.