Mini-Farfalle with Zucchini & Parsley-Walnut Pesto
Parsley is transformed into a really fresh-tasting pesto in this dish. I had purchased a giant bunch of parsley only to get another giant bunch of parsley in my CSA share the next day. (Why does that always happen?) This dish used almost all of it up! 🙂 I also had zucchini in my CSA box so this was the perfect recipe. We ate it at room temperature and it was wonderful. This pasta dish would also be terrific served warm or refrigerated and served as a cold pasta salad. This dish was adapted from a “staff-favorite” recipe in Food and Wine, contributed by Melissa Rubel Jacobson. I used roasted walnuts instead of almonds, increased the amount of cheese, and used mini-farfalle pasta.
- 1 pound mini-farfalle (butterfly pasta :))
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup unsalted roasted walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound zucchini (2-3 medium), halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farfalle and cook until it is al dente. Drain the farfalle.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the garlic clove until it is finely chopped. Add the walnuts and pulse until they are coarsely chopped. Add the parsley and 1/2 cup of the olive oil and process until the parsley is finely chopped. Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and pulse just until the pesto is combined. Season with salt and pepper and scrape the pesto into a large, shallow serving bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until shimmering. Add the zucchini and cook over moderately high heat until tender and browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add the crushed red pepper and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the zucchini to the bowl with the pesto. Add the farfalle, toss well and serve.
Make Ahead: The pesto can be refrigerated overnight.
Posted in Pasta, Quick, Recipes, Sides, Vegetarian
Tags: dinner, Italian, kid-friendly dinner, parsley, pesto, vegetarian, walnuts, zucchini