We have TONS of mint in our herb garden and I really only use it in iced tea. A mojito is another wonderful use! This is a terrific summer cocktail- refreshing and sweet. The more the watermelon and mint are muddled into the sweetener the better- so much more flavor! This recipe was adapted from Fiesta at Rick’s: Fabulous Food for Great Times with Friends by Rick Bayless.
Yield: 1 drink
- 1 sprig of fresh mint (about 10 leaves)
- 1/2 cup cubed watermelon
- 1 T (1/2 oz) simple syrup or agave nectar
- 4 T (2 oz) white rum
- 1 T (1/2 oz) lime juice
- ice cubes
- sparkling water
- Place mint leaves and watermelon cubes in a cocktail glass or a tall water glass. Top with agave nectar or simple syrup.
- Use a muddler or a handle of a wooden spoon to crush the mint and watermelon, releasing their flavor into the sweetener.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Add rum and lime juice. Use a long-handled spoon to mix everything together.
- Top off each glass with sparkling water. Serve.