We have TONS of mint in our herb garden and I really only use it in iced tea. A mojito is another wonderful use! This is a terrific summer cocktail- refreshing and sweet. The more the watermelon and mint are muddled into the sweetener the better- so much more flavor! This recipe was adapted from Fiesta at Rick’s: Fabulous Food for Great Times with Friends by Rick Bayless.
Yield: 1 drink
- 1 sprig of fresh mint (about 10 leaves)
- 1/2 cup cubed watermelon
- 1 T (1/2 oz) simple syrup or agave nectar
- 4 T (2 oz) white rum
- 1 T (1/2 oz) lime juice
- ice cubes
- sparkling water
- Place mint leaves and watermelon cubes in a cocktail glass or a tall water glass. Top with agave nectar or simple syrup.
- Use a muddler or a handle of a wooden spoon to crush the mint and watermelon, releasing their flavor into the sweetener.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Add rum and lime juice. Use a long-handled spoon to mix everything together.
- Top off each glass with sparkling water. Serve.
It was really refreshing! 🙂
I love this :).
Thank you- It was really good! 🙂
I love my cocktails and water melon sounds so refreshing for cocktails 🙂
I have nominated you for wordpress family award for the awesomeness of your blog :). Please collect it here : http://simplyvegetarian777.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/wordpress-family-award/
THANK YOU! 🙂
THis looks and sounds like a great summertime cocktail. How could it not be with watermelon and mint? Coincidentally, I’ll be going to Bayless’s Frontera Grill for lunch tomorrow. I’ll tell him you said “Hi!” 🙂
Please do! 🙂 I love Frontera Grill. I don’t know if you would have a margarita for lunch….but they are wonderful! Enjoy!!!
Beautiful picture. And ofcourse the concoction rocks 🙂
Thanks For the recipe 🙂
I wish it was warm enough here for me to enjoy one! 🙂