We have mustard vinaigrette on our salad VERY OFTEN but my husband is actually a creamy salad dressing kind of guy. This is his favorite dressing. I usually make it in the summer when I have all sorts of fresh herbs available. It is really flavorful- and creamy. This recipe was adapted from Back to the Table: The Reunion of Food and Family by Art Smith.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 T grainy mustard (I use whole grain dijon mustard)
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 2 T rinsed capers
- 2 T shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp fresh parsley or tarragon
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and sriracha hot sauce, to taste
- Place capers, shallots, and herbs in a food processor. Process to a fine mince.
- Add all other ingredients and process to combine.
- Store in a jar and shake well to blend before serving.
Note: The dressing can be prepared up to 1 week ahead, covered, and refrigerated.