This is a wonderful sandwich that we make every summer. It is simple and fresh. The tender, warm, garlicky eggplant shines in each bite. We ate them with coleslaw and warm boiled potatoes dressed with salsa verde.
For the eggplant:
- 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed through a garlic press
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- olive oil
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the sandwiches:
- 3-4 basil leaves per sandwich
- 1 tomato, sliced 1/4-inch
- thinly sliced red onion, optional
- 2 slices feta cheese per sandwich
- crisp bacon, optional
- mayonnaise, optional
- ciabatta or brioche rolls, lightly toasted on the grill, if desired
- Spread pressed garlic over the top of each slice of eggplant. Then salt and pepper to taste. Let sit one hour for the garlic flavor to infuse.
- Salt and pepper each tomato slice. Let sit to remove some water.
- Before grilling, spray each eggplant slice with an olive oil mister or brush each slice with olive oil. Grill until tender and slightly charred, a few minutes on each side. Toast rolls on the grill, if desired.
- While the eggplant is on the grill, prepare the rest of the sandwich: Lightly spread mayonnaise on one side of the roll. Top with basil leaves, red onion, and salted and drained tomato slices. Place two slices of feta cheese on the opposite half of the roll. Add bacon if using.
- Top feta with warm eggplant slices. Serve immediately.