As much as I love trying new recipes, we made a gold standard summer meal for friends the other night. Palestinian chicken with Israeli couscous– we make it at least once a summer.
The whole milk Greek yogurt based marinade really makes the entire dish. It’s moist, tangy, and very flavorful with the addition of many spices. I have made it in the past with plain whole milk yogurt and with low-fat Greek yogurt but I was not as pleased with the results – whole milk Greek yogurt is perfect. Simple and tasty- the kids enjoyed it too.
This recipe was adapted from The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen. I recommend doubling the recipe. 🙂
- 4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts OR 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 3 T fresh lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt, cinnamon, pepper, cardamom, and cloves in a non-reactive baking dish. (I use glass.) Whisk to blend.
- Add the chicken breasts or thighs, coat each completely with marinade, and arrange in one layer.
- Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator, 4 hours to overnight. (The longer the better.)
- Preheat the grill. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Remove the chicken from the baking dish and grill until cooked through.