I know it shouldn’t be so, but my entire family loves candy corn pumpkins. 🙂 My daughter asked for a dessert that incorporated them, so I topped her slice of this delicious pumpkin spice cake with one. Perfect! This quick recipe was adapted from Everyday Food. One tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice can be substituted for the spice combination listed in the recipe below. The honey cream cheese frosting adds a nice touch to this super moist cake.
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin puree
For the Honey Frosting:
- 6 T unsalted butter, very soft
- 6 oz regular (or reduced-fat) cream cheese, very soft
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan, or coat with cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper, coat the parchment with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter, and pumpkin puree until combined. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, and mix gently until smooth.
- Turn batter into prepared pan, and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes (on convection). Cool cake 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan, and cool completely, right side up, on a rack.
- Make Honey Frosting: In a medium bowl, whisk butter, cream cheese, and honey until smooth.
- Spread top of cooled cake with honey frosting. Cut cake into squares to serve.
One Year Ago: Pumpkin Bread