Typically, I am a rule follower (first-born child, etc, etc). My husband was going to our neighborhood meeting and we were on the “bring an appetizer” half of the neighborhood list. The other half of the neighborhood was on the “bring a dessert” list. Because it was so much faster to throw together a quick and tasty dessert, I made these blondies to contribute to the meeting. What a rebellious moment! 🙂 We had to sample them before sharing, of course, and they were great. This recipe was adapted from Everyday Food. I have also made them with hazelnuts.
- Yield: Makes 16
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled) (can substitute 1/2 white whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or hazelnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush an 8-inch square baking pan with butter or cooking spray; line pan with a piece of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides. Butter (or spray) paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk butter and sugars until smooth. Whisk in egg and vanilla. Add flour and salt; mix just until moistened (do not overmix). Fold in 1/2 cup each chocolate chips and walnuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 (on convection) to 45 minutes. Set pan on a wire rack, and let cool completely. Using parchment overhang, lift cake from pan and transfer to a cutting board; cut into 16 squares.
Super yummy Josette… Perfect for winter sweet cravings 🙂
I crave sweets year-round! 🙂 Although it may be worse in the cold weather…. 🙂
I hear ya…hibernating mode..accumulating fat with all the eating and being a couch potato in winters :)…lol
they look awesome! yum!
Thank you! So quick to make too.
Great recipe! Thanks forsharing! =)