I used to think that I wasn’t a fan of pecan pie, so, I have never made it before. This was our absolute favorite dessert this Thansgiving. It pays to branch out! 🙂 This recipe was adapted from Food and Wine, contributed by Sarah Jordan. It has an easy press-in crust and gooey filling. We ate them at room temperature. AMAZING!!
- 2 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour whisked with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, cream the butter with the sugars at medium speed for 2 minutes. With the mixer at low speed, beat in the flour-and-salt mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing 2 inches of overhang on the 2 long sides. Transfer the dough to the pan and press it over the bottom and 1 1/4 inches up the side all around. (You can cover the dough with plastic wrap and press with the bottom of a measuring cup.) Be sure the corners are not too thick. Refrigerate until firm (about 45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Bake the crust for 25 minutes (convection) to 35 minutes, until golden brown; halfway through baking, use the back of a spoon to smooth the sides and corners of the crust. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the crust cool before filling.
For the Filling:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Baked Press-In Crust (recipe above)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan, melt the unsalted butter over moderate heat. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the light corn syrup and dark brown sugar, then whisk in the eggs until thoroughly blended. Whisk in the vanilla extract and salt and stir in the pecans halves until combined.
- Pour the pecan filling into the prebaked pie bar crust and bake for about 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool completely. Cut into bars and serve.