I love finding new uses for cabbage. I was so excited to read about roasting cabbage with bacon on Cottage Grove House. I had never roasted cabbage before. Genius!– and I had two types of CSA cabbage sitting in my refrigerator waiting for a plan! 🙂 The original recipe was for a side dish but I thought it would be fabulous over pasta as a main dish. This recipe was adapted from cottagegrovehouse.com. It was DELICIOUS!!
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 1/2 head green and/or red cabbage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 head savoy or napa cabbage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 6 slices of thick cut bacon, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- drizzling of avocado or olive oil
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Grana Padano or Parmesan, for serving
- 3/4 to 1 pound fresh pasta noodles, such as Trofie or dry pasta noodles, such as Strozzapreti
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (convection).
- Place the cabbage, bacon, oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and toss until well coated. Spread evenly onto two large, rimmed baking sheets.
- Roast, turning regularly with a spatula, about 30 minutes, or until well roasted and bacon is crispy, yet still meaty.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Combine cooked pasta with cabbage mixture. Top with grated cheese and serve.