Don’t let the “healthy” throw you… these muffins are healthy but are also moist and tasty. They are also easy to make if the carrots are shredded in a food processor. They are mini carrot cakes without icing! I am their biggest fan in our family- but I decided to try to make them for everyone AGAIN recently on a snow day. (I enjoy them enough to make them just for myself!) This time, my daughter really liked them too. Yay! I will convert them all sooner or later. 🙂 This recipe was adapted from Everyday Food.
- Yield: Makes 12
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 4 medium carrots, shredded (in a food processor, if possible)
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt until there are no lumps.
- Stir in oats and raisins. Add oil, egg, milk, carrots, and banana and stir until blended.
- Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 15 minutes (on convection). Serve muffins warm or at room temperature.
Note: To store, keep in an airtight container up to 3 days.
One Year Ago: