This is one of my favorite bread recipes- I modified it to make in a bread machine. The recipe was adapted from King Arthur Flour. I substituted some of the bread flour with whole wheat flour, used grapeseed oil rather than butter, and used 1 percent milk in the dough. It is best warm and freshly baked- YUM- but also wonderful toasted the next day.
- 2 T neutral oil such as grapeseed or canola oil or butter
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm milk (1 percent okay)
- 3 T brown sugar or honey
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (old-fashioned oats)
- 2 tsp active dry yeast, bread machine yeast, or instant yeast
Bread Machine Method:
- Place all of the ingredients, in order, with the exception of the yeast, in the pan of the machine.
- Make a well in the flour and add the yeast. Program the machine for whole wheat and start.
- About 10 minutes before the end of the second kneading cycle, check dough and adjust its consistency as necessary with additional flour or water; finished dough should be soft and supple.
One Year Ago:
If you like this you may also like: