We ate these for breakfast on a SURPRISE snow day! I love having extra time to make a special breakfast on a weekday. 🙂
This recipe eliminates fat compared to a traditional waffle recipe by using less butter, egg whites, and low-fat buttermilk. To make it even healthier, it could be served with fresh fruit in lieu of maple syrup. We opted for banana slices, mango chunks, and maple syrup. You have to live it up on “vacation!”
This recipe was adapted from Martha Stewart Living. The waffles were incredibly light and fluffy. Nice.
Yield: 10 waffles
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour, (not self-rising)
- 3 tablespoons instant non-fat dry milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 large whole egg
- 2 large egg whites (1 egg can be substituted)
- 2 1/4 cups non-fat or low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. optional
- 1 1/2 pints assorted fresh fruit, such as raspberries, blueberries, boysenberries, and peaches, or bananas, for serving, optional
- pure maple syrup, for serving, optional
- vegetable-oil cooking spray
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- Place oats in the bowl of a (mini) food processor, and process until coarsely ground, about 30 seconds. Transfer oats to a medium bowl.
- Add whole-wheat flour, cake flour, dry milk, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to the oats. Whisk to combine.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract, if using.
- Pour into the dry ingredients, add melted butter, and mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Quickly pour about 1 1/2 cups batter onto center of grid. Use a rubber spatula to spread the batter evenly out to the edges. Bake waffles until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Briefly cool on a wire rack. Transfer to a warm oven or warming drawer. Repeat until all batter is used.
- Cut waffles into squares; serve two per person topped with fruit and/or maple syrup, as desired.
One Year Ago: