I used to worry about getting a rutabaga in my CSA box. I found this recipe for oven fries on my CSA website, Golden Earthworm Organic Farm. I cut the spices by half, used 2 small rutabaga and a sweet potato, and still found them to be slightly overpowering. Next time I would reduce the amount of spice mix or increase the amount of “fries.” Oven fries are a nice way to make a vegetable that the family isn’t welcoming with open arms more palatable! 🙂
- 1 large rutabaga cut into oven fry strips (I used 2 small rutabaga and 2 sweet potatoes)
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each: cinnamon, ground cumin, paprika, and coarse salt
- Mix the olive oil with the spices.
- Toss in the rutabaga (& sweet potato, if using) pieces and coat them in the mixture. Spread out on a cookie sheet.
- Roast at 400F, turning once, until they’re nicely browned, about 20 to 25 minutes (convection roast) and up to 45-60 mins.