I love the combination of asparagus and eggs. We eat asparagus year-round, but I definitely serve it more often in the spring. Tender spring asparagus is hard to beat. 🙂 I planned a meal around this side dish because I REALLY wanted to make (& eat!) it. This recipe was adapted from Martha Stewart Living. The dish is named for the pretty yellow-and-white flower, mimicked by the fluffy hard-boiled egg sprinkled over the top of the dish. The presentation was beautiful and it was so delicious I could have eaten all of it myself! 🙂
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large hard-cooked egg
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds steamed asparagus
- Hard-boil the egg: Cover the egg with cold water in a small saucepan. Bring water to a boil, remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 12 minutes. Drain and refill pot with cold water to cease the cooking process. After the egg has cooled, remove the shell.
- Steam asparagus for 10 minutes, or to desired tenderness.
- Make the vinaigrette: Whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Spoon vinaigrette over asparagus.
- Push egg through a fine sieve over the dressed asparagus. Serve warm or at room temperature.
One Year Ago:
Wow! Love the idea of crumbled hard boiled egg over asparagus. I too find asparagus so delicious – so elegant, too. Lovely post 🙂
Thank you so much! I love poached eggs over asparagus too… YUM!
This looks too good to resist! I love the asparagus/egg combo, yet I’ve never thought to use hard boiled eggs. I will definitely give this a try…thanks for the delicious inspiration!
Thanks! Try it- so simple and tasty 🙂
Simple and elegant. This would make a nice first course for Easter.
I am thinking of making it for Easter myself! It looks like springtime 🙂
What a beautiful dish, Josette!
Thank you! I need to make it during daylight hours and update my photo–the dish was so pretty- I want to capture it better…
I need to try the asparagus with this dressing! Sounds so spring and summer! Beautiful picture Josette!
You do need to try it!! You can’t go wrong with a mustard vinaigrette 🙂
Very nice looking asparagus dish! The photo of the mimosa is a great touch.
Thank you! I wanted to see what a mimosa looked like myself 🙂
This dish looks so good Josette!
Thank you! 🙂
Every time I see asparagus mimosa I think it’s going to be a drink! Eeewwww! But this presentation is beautiful and so springy!
One of my friends said the same thing! 🙂 so funny!
We grow our own. In about a month we’ll be making alk kinda of dishes, just trying to keep up with the sprouts coming up. Great recipe, will try. My fav is holindaise on em.
I wish you could share! I should grow my own- I love it so much. I love poached eggs with asparagus as well- & my husband LOVES hollandaise! 🙂 yummy