Both of my kids performed in their school talent show last weekend. They were backstage for FIVE hours!! I wanted to pack a special treat for them to have for the show (and to bring to share with their friends). My son requested M&M cookies. I made them using a simple recipe (from the bag!!) and packed them up. I didn’t plan to post them… but we loved them! Such a surprise. 🙂 They were also colorful and cute. Similar recipes called for much more sugar and salt but these were perfect. The kids really enjoyed them. Great!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 12 ounce package “M&M’s” Chocolate Mini Baking Bits
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts, optional (I didn’t use nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In large bowl cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt; blend into creamed mixture.
- Stir in “M&M’s” Chocolate Mini Baking Bits and nuts, if using.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls about 2 inches (50mm) apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. (I used a small cookie scoop.) Bake 10 to 11 minutes (on convection) or until edges are lightly browned and centers are still soft. Do not overbake. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; cool completely on wire racks. Store in tightly covered container.
One Year Ago:
Now that’s a family favorite here. If I will show the girls this pic, they would want me to make it now :). Saving the recipe for reference 🙂
I needed this recipe as a reference for myself too! 🙂 We were truly surprised by how tasty they were!! 🙂
These cookies look delicious!
Thank you! I know every kid will eat a colorful M&M cookie but I was surprised how much the adults loved them too! 🙂
Five hours?? What troopers! What a great mom you are to pack them snacks. 🙂
I didn’t pack my daughter a snack last year 😦 & had to make up for it this year! In my defense, it was the first year we had been a part of the show and I had NO IDEA that it was sooooo long! Everyone was pleased this year 🙂
You’re a rock star mom! What a way to make up for last year! 😀