If I didn’t need to watch my waistline, I would eat creamed spinach every night. It is SO GOOD! 🙂 Sometimes the recipe is over the top. This version seems to offer just the right amount of decadence. We ate it with Baked Mustard Chicken as part of my husband’s birthday dinner. This recipe was adapted from Food and Wine, contributed by David Walzog of Michael Jordan’s The Steak House N.Y.C.. Wonderful!
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds fresh spinach, large stems discarded
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon avocado or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan. Add the spinach by the handful and cook over moderately high heat, stirring often, until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach to a colander and squeeze it as dry as possible. Chop the spinach.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in the saucepan. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cream; cook until reduced by half, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the butter and swirl to incorporate.
- Stir in the Parmesan and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and water, season with salt and pepper and cook over low heat until the spinach is coated with the thickened sauce, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Make Ahead: The creamed spinach can be refrigerated overnight; rewarm over moderately low heat.
One Year Ago:
If you like this you may also like: