My entire family really enjoys strawberry picking- and eating all of the strawberry-laden goodies that I make when we get home. 🙂 My list of must-have “tried and true” recipes is growing and we need more berries every year! After making pancakes, jam, and cookies, I needed to try one new recipe. This was IT. These scones were fabulous- SO tender and moist. This recipe was adapted from Bon Appetit. My son asked me to make one hundred of them. 🙂 Wonderful!!
Yield: Makes 10 scones
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups graham flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 ounces strawberries, hulled, cut into 1/2″ pieces (about 1 ½ cups)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- turbinado sugar, to taste, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine all-purpose flour, graham or pastry flour, baking powder, salt, and ¼ cup sugar by pulsing in a food processor or whisking in a bowl.
- Add butter and pulse in a food processor, or cut with a pastry blender, until the texture of coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl, add strawberries, and toss to combine.
- Whisk milk and egg yolk in a small bowl or measuring cup. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients, and, using a fork or pastry blender, gently mix just to combine.
- Using your hands, gently knead a few times just until a shaggy dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to parchment paper and flatten to 1″ in thickness.
- Cut into ten 2 1/2-inch rounds using a biscuit cutter, filling any gaps with remaining dough.
- Sprinkle scones with turbinado sugar. Chill in freezer 20 minutes (this will help scones hold their shape).
- Bake scones until golden brown, 18 minutes (on convection) to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly.
Note: Scones can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
One Year Ago:
- Strawberry-Vanilla Bean Jam
- Strawberry Summer Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
- Hurricane Sandy Pancakes (with Strawberries!)