A lot of dishes seem to be “deconstructed.” This deconstructed ravioli truly tasted like ravioli- and smelled AMAZING. This recipe was adapted from the Food and Wine column “Chef Recipes Made Easy.” It is a modification of homemade ravioli stuffed with ricotta, leeks, scallions, and spinach, served in a butter-sage sauce, made by Lidia Bastianich. This dish is seasonless but I was able to make it this time of year with gorgeous CSA spinach and beautiful sage from my garden. A quick, flavorful, dinner-party worthy, vegetarian pasta!!
Yield: 6 servings
- 14 ounces pappardelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 12 to 24 cups spinach, sliced into 1-2″ ribbons (other greens can also be incorporated such as chard and/or beet greens- stems chopped into 1/4- inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pappardelle pasta until al dente. Drain the pappardelle thoroughly, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the scallions and sage and cook over high heat until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. If using chard or other greens, add the chopped stems at this point and sauté until softened.
- Add the spinach and/or additional greens in large handfuls and cook, stirring, until wilted.
- Add the pasta, butter and ricotta and toss. Add 3/4 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water and the Parmigiano and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook over moderately low heat, tossing, until the sauce is thick and creamy, adding more of the pasta water as needed. Transfer the pappardelle to bowls and serve right away, with grated Parmigiano.
One Year Ago:
- Linguine with Asparagus Pesto
- Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Browned Butter, Swiss Chard, Walnuts, and Raisins
- Fresh Fettuccini with Peas, Garlic, & Ricotta Salata
- Fresh Whole Wheat-Egg Pasta Dough