I can’t believe it, but I am tired of pulled pork. What is even more surprising is that my husband is in agreement! This was a nice variation and the sauce was tasty with a subtle spicy kick; I omitted the liquid smoke as I am not partial to smoky flavor. The chicken was really moist even after five hours in the slow-cooker too.
This recipe was adapted from Cook’s Country Magazine, via cookingwithauntjuju.com and talkingonmagazines.com. Perfect to feed a crowd. Perfect for guests because it can be made ahead of time and reheated in the slow-cooker prior to serving.
We ate it with Provencal Tomatoes and corn on the cob but it may have needed coleslaw and potato salad (too?!?). Next time… 🙂 Nice!
Yield: Serves 10 to 12
- 4 (10-12 oz) bone-in split chicken breasts
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 tsp chili powder
- 2-3 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) tomato paste
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 T brown mustard
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp Sriracha or other hot sauce, plus more for serving, if desired
- 3/4 tsp liquid smoke, if desired
- 12 sandwich rolls (I prefer potato rolls)
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Generously season with salt and pepper.
- Combine onion, oil, garlic, chili powders, cayenne, and tomato paste in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until the onion softens slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the slow-cooker and stir in the ketchup, molasses, mustard, and cider vinegar.
- Add the chicken to the slow-cooker and toss to combine with sauce. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours, or until chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a cutting board or rimmed baking sheet and loosely tent with foil. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- Using a ladle or large spoon, skim the fat off the surface of the sauce. Discard.
- Stir the hot sauce and liquid smoke (if using) into the sauce. Cover to keep warm.
- Remove and discard chicken breast skin and bones. Coarsely shred the breast meat using 2 forks. Roughly chop the thigh meat into 1/2-inch chunks.
- Return the meat to the slow-cooker and combine with sauce. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve on sandwich rolls with hot sauce to pass at the table, if desired.
One Year Ago: