I loved the idea of cooking Indian-spiced rice with butternut squash. Fabulous! My desire to make this side dish with my small CSA butternut squash inspired an entire meal. A WONDERFUL meal! Yay! I know that I will make this all of the time now- such lovely color. This dish is from Food and Wine, contributed by Asha Gomez. I didn’t change a thing. 🙂 We ate it with sautéed greens and Indian Spiced Chicken.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 3/4 pound peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the cumin and mustard seeds and cook over high heat until the mustard seeds begin to pop, about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and diced squash and stir to coat with the butter.
- Add the water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over very low heat until the squash is tender and the water is completely absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let the rice stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve right away.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago: