I have a new favorite squash! KABOCHA. I wasn’t going to post this simple side dish- but then it was so amazing that I didn’t want to forget it!! 🙂 This recipe was adapted from Trader Joe’s. It would be an amazing holiday side dish.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 1 Kabocha Squash, seeded, peeled, and cubed
- 4 slices thick-cut uncured apple smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- 6 fresh sage leaves, chiffonade
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- balsalmic glaze, for serving
- Seed, peel, and dice the squash.
- Cook chopped bacon in a medium sauté pan (with a lid) until crispy. Remove bacon and oil (reserving about 1 1/2 T fat) to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cubed squash to the onions in the pan. Season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally for 12 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water (or stock) to the pan. Cover and steam for an additional 5 minutes, or until tender but still firm.
- Remove lid, stir in reserved bacon and sage.
- Remove from heat and dress with balsamic glaze, if desired.
One Year Ago:
If you like this you may also like: