This is the EASIEST lasagna recipe EVER. I had to check my recipe resource a few times (I double & triple checked!) while preparing this dish just confirm that the mushrooms did NOT have to be cooked before adding to this lasagna. The noodles didn’t have to be cooked either! I thought that the finished dish might be too saucy because of the moisture from the mushrooms, but it was perfect.
This recipe was adapted from Food and Wine, contributed by Todd Porter and Diane Cu. I modified the recipe to use no-boil lasagna noodles. I also added garlic and used different types of mushrooms. My son had been begging for lasagna and he was quite pleased. 🙂 It was a titch too brown but it was still absolutely delicious!!
- olive oil, for coating baking dish
- 9 to 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- zest of 1 fresh lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced through a garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt, or to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 24 to 30 ounces tomato sauce (I used Victoria brand marinara)
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with olive oil (or cooking oil spray) and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano, lemon zest, garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Spread a light layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Lay 3 to 4 lasagna noodles lengthwise over the sauce (or however they fit best in your pan).
- Layer one-third of the remaining tomato sauce over the lasagna noodles and then layer half of the ricotta mixture.
- Layer half of the mushrooms over the ricotta and then spread one-third of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat this pattern: noodles, sauce, ricotta cheese, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese.
- Add a final layer of lasagna noodles and then add the remaining tomato sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake lasagna for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the top cheese is melted and golden. (Watch carefully!) 🙂
- Remove from oven; let cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago: