Everybody needs a “gold standard” tomato soup recipe – especially in the winter. This is my new one! This tasty recipe was adapted from Mad Hungry Cravings: 173 Recipes for the Food You want to Eat Right Now by Lucinda Scala Quinn. A great book.
The soup is creamy but creamless; it is slightly pink from the emulsification of the tomatoes and stock. We ate it with extra-sharp cheddar grilled cheese sandwiches and green salad. Mmmm. Grilled cheese croutons would be wonderful as well. Stay warm! My kids are on snow day #3 today!! 🙂
Yield: Serves 8 to 10
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving, if desired
- 4 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 tsp coarse salt
- 4 28-oz cans whole tomatoes in juice (I used Cento San Marzano tomatoes)
- 4 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 6 x 1 1/2-inch piece Parmesan rind
- grated Parmesan, for serving, optional
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil. When it shimmers, add the shallots, carrots, and celery, season with the salt, and sauté until soft and golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, and Parmesan rind; bring to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes, until the soup has thickened slightly. Remove and discard the Parmesan rind.
- Working in batches, transfer the soup to a food processor or blender, and puree. (I used an immersion blender.)
- Reheat the soup, if necessary. Add more chicken stock if needed for the desired consistency.
- Divide among bowls and garnish each with a drizzle of olive oil and grated Parmesan, if desired.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago:
Looks super delicious for a snowy day like today!
Isn’t this weather the worst? We can’t even go sledding- just stuck inside!! Getting a lot of chores done! 🙂
So true. I am just eating a sI watch the snow:)
I love your photo and the soup. Nothing better than tomato soup and grilled cheese. What a wonderful recipe it will warm you up in this terrible weather.
Thanks for the photo compliment! 🙂 This weather is misery… But a little comfort food always makes me feel a little better 🙂
Grilled cheese and soup sound like exactly what I need on a day like today! Looks delicious 🙂
Yes! Perfect for today… Thank you so much. Hope you are staying warm 🙂 This weather STINKS! Not even nice enough to play in the snow 😦
Damn delicious and comforting tomato soup!!!
i think i’m gonna use my homemade sun dried tomato for this recipe…
Sounds tasty- let me know how it works out!
Yummy looking! As soon as the kids go back to school (that WILL happen, right?) I’m going to make this!
I’m not sure that they are going back to school today…..
Not a fan of tomato but this sure looks good!
Everything looks great and that’s one gorgeous click!
You are so kind to me- Thank you!! 🙂
Need a bowl now
me too!! It is SO COLD!!! 😦
I heard that north east is being beaten brutal with storms this year.
It was worse last year, I suppose…
I bet! We have a milder winter this year.
Just the ticket for these long, dreary days. It looks yummy.
Snow day #3? Yikes! I’m glad we’ve only had one (so far). I don’t want school to go on til the end of June like last year! Grilled cheese w/ tomato soup is my go-to meal whenever I don’t want anything else. That’s the only thing I’d eat from the school kitchen. Oh, and corn😃 Btw, would you be willing to co-host this Friday, FF54? Your partner will be Sonal. Lemme know and I’ll send you the co-host guidelines. Sorry it’s such short notice. I’ve been super busy!
Thank you so much, Angie- what an honor! I am torn because we are in the midst of preparing for a big family trip… I think that I will take the plunge but I’m nervous. I really want to co-host with Sonal!! 🙂
How about I email you the co-host guidelines and you and Sonal can decide how to best divvy up the work? It’s very flexible.
Sounds like a plan 😉
I sent you an email! 🙂
Got it! No worries…
Sleep well tonight!! ❤
I love pureed tomato soup! Have you tried to add a pinch of oregano, it adds amazing flavour! 🙂
Nice suggestion! I recently just made this soup again- it is so simple & delicious 🙂