Our kids take swimming lessons in the Long Island Sound EVERY summer. They don’t realize how lucky they are to go to the beach EVERY day with friends. I love being forced to go to the beach!!
Our traditional celebration is to indulge in a treat from the ice cream truck on the last day of lessons. We did that this year as well, of course… we keep our traditions :), but my friends and I made the last day even more fabulous this year by bringing a potluck dinner and wine to eat at the beach and stay for the sunset. (We ordered pizza for the kids!) Great.
My contribution was this tasty salad. Baby arugula (my favorite) topped with loads of warm sautéed corn, shallots, pancetta, and dates. Fresh and delicious. This recipe was adapted from Bon Appétit, contributed by Chris Morocco.
Yield: Serves 4 as a main course or 8 as a side dish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces chopped guanciale (salt-cured pork jowl), pancetta, or bacon
- 2 to 3 large shallots, chopped
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (I used 6 ears)
- 3 to 5 tablespoons Sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar (to taste)
- baby arugula (about 8 cups- I was generous!!)
- 3 chopped Medjool dates
- shaved or grated Parmesan and chopped fresh chives, for serving, optional
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook pancetta, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Add shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add corn and cook 2 minutes. Let cool slightly, then stir in vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Taste to adjust amount of vinegar.
- Toss greens and warm dressing in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with dates, Parmesan, and a pinch of chives.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
- Corn Chowder with Zucchini, Scallion & Orzo Topping
- Ice Box Buttermilk Salad Dressing
- Spicy Israeli Couscous with Summer Squash