Spicy deliciousness!! This appetizer is reminiscent of our absolute favorite tacos which also have mildly spicy charred poblanos and tangy crème fraiche. The corn stands in for the corn tortilla in the tacos. The beautiful char on the grilled corn in this dish upgrades the sweet corn flavor. Leftover dip would work well as a taco filling itself- but we gobbled it all up with salty tortilla chips! 🙂
This recipe is from the Bon Appétit RSVP section- which I love. Readers write in to request recipes for their favorite restaurant dishes. This recipe was adapted from Pig & Prince in Montclair, New Jersey, via Bon Appétit. We grilled the corn and chiles and assembled the dish ahead of time. I transferred the mixture to the skillet and baked it right before serving. Wonderful!!
Yield: Serves 8
- 6 ears of corn, husked
- 4 poblano chiles
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 8 ounces crème fraîche
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Cholula or Sriracha)
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Grill corn, turning occasionally, until well charred, 10–12 minutes. Cut kernels from cobs and place in a large bowl.
- Grill chiles, turning occasionally, until skins are blackened, 12–15 minutes. Transfer chiles to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let steam 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Remove skin, stems, and seeds from chiles; chop flesh into ¼” pieces. Add to bowl with corn.
- Stir in scallions, garlic, crème fraîche, sour cream, lime juice, and 3 Tbsp. hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. (At this point the mixture can be reserved to bake just prior to serving.)
- Transfer dip to a 10″ cast-iron skillet or 2-qt. baking dish and bake until bubbling around the edges, 10–12 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
If you like this you may also like:
- Creamy Chicken and Greens with Roasted Poblano Tacos or Pollo a la Crema con Quelites, Chile Poblano Asado
- Corn Queso Fundido