I just feel so healthy eating a dish like this. 🙂 Served over brown rice with yogurt and warm naan, this dish is an amazing complete vegetarian meal. The lentils have a little bit of heat and the yogurt tempers it perfectly.
This recipe was adapted from Food and Wine, contributed by Madhur Jaffrey. It was voted one of their “Best New Vegetarian” dishes. I believe it! 🙂 I doubled the recipe, used French green lentils, a combination of ghee and coconut oil, and substituted beet and turnip greens for the kale. Satisfying and tasty!
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 2 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 4 garlic clove, put through a garlic press
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste mixed with 2 tablespoon of water
- 2 1/2 cups dried French green lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 8 ounces green beans, cut into 3/4-inch lengths
- 8 ounces kale, or other greens stemmed and leaves cut into ribbons (I used about 10 cups of mixed beet & turnip greens)
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- coarse salt, to taste
- brown Basmati rice, warm naan, and plain Greek yogurt, for serving
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger, garlic, coriander and ground cumin. Stir in 1/2 cup of water to make a paste.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the cumin seeds and cook over moderately high heat for 5 seconds, just until sizzling.
- Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add the spice paste and let cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook until thick, about 1 minute longer.
- In a saucepan, combine the lentils with the turmeric and 10 cups of water; bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until the lentils are barely tender.
- Add the green beans, greens, carrot, three-fourths of the cilantro and the cayenne and season with salt.
- Cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
- Scrape in the spice paste and the remaining cilantro. Simmer for 5 minutes, then serve.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
- Pasta with Greens, Caramelized Onions, & Garlicky Bread Crumbs
- Sautéed Greens with Bacon & Mustard Seeds
Three Years Ago: