When I recently saw this recipe on The Company She Keeps– I needed an excuse to make it. Thankfully we had a surprise snow day! (We seriously didn’t even know that snow was in the forecast… ) I knew it would be the perfect special breakfast.
This recipe was adapted from The Baking Chocolatess. I modified the recipe to incorporate whole wheat pastry flour, unsalted butter, and coarse salt. I also baked the bread in my favorite Pullman loaf pan. Decadent and delicious.
Yield: Serves 8
For the Cinnamon Sugar:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Batter:
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk or almond milk (I used whole milk)
For the Apple Mixture:
- 2 large apples, peeled and chopped (any kind – I used Pink Lady apples- my favorite!)
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- walnuts, to taste, optional
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons of milk or cream (depending on desired glaze thickness)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, preferably on convection.
- Grease desired loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Make the Cinnamon Sugar: Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Make the Batter: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat granulated sugar and butter together until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until blended in; add in vanilla extract.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a separate bowl. Add to creamed butter mixture and mix until blended.
- Add milk to batter and mix until smooth.
- Make the Apple Mixture: Combine chopped apples, granulated sugar, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Add nuts, if using.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the apple mixture, then half of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Lightly pat apple mixture into batter.
- Dollop the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining apple mixture, then the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 45 minutes for a Pullman loaf or 50-60 minutes for a standard loaf.
- Make the glaze: Mix the powdered sugar and milk or cream together until desired consistency is achieved. Mix well.
- Remove loaf from pan. Let cool for about 15 minutes before drizzling with glaze.
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago: