Oh my. It has been a long time since I’ve devoted time to blogging. Spring yard work and cleaning always consumes my schedule this time of year. (and I am so exhausted from doing all of it… I can’t muster up any energy in my spare time to do anything else. ) I have been cooking though! TONS of tasty and quick dishes… I plan to start sharing some of them with you! 🙂
I love the combination of asparagus and eggs. It screams springtime to me. This vegetarian main dish is simple and delicious. The recipe was adapted from Everyday Food. I doubled the asparagus and used Parmigiano Reggiano and linguine fini noodles. We ate the leftovers with sliced and diced hardboiled eggs over the top. Great.
Yield: Serves 4, generously
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound linguine fini (I used Barilla), linguine, fettuccine
- 2 1/4 pounds asparagus, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano (1/2 ounce), plus more for serving
- 4 large eggs
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions, adding the asparagus in the last two minutes of cooking (if large) and last minute of cooking (if thin).
- Reserve 1 cup cooking liquid; drain pasta and asparagus and return to pot along with butter and Parmesan. Toss until butter is melted, adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large straight-sided skillet, heat 2 inches water over medium until a few bubbles rise to the top.
- Crack each egg into a small bowl and gently pour into skillet. Partially cover, and cook until whites are set and yolks are runny, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- To serve, divide pasta among 4 bowls, top each serving with an egg, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with additional cheese, as desired.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
- Ricotta Gnocchi with Asparagus, Peas, & Mushrooms
- Saffron Pappardelle with Moroccan Spiced Shallot-Butter Sauce
Three Years Ago:
Absolutely love this dish, Josette. It screams Spring and I can guarantee it will be a dinner on my menu this week…love the poached egg!
Thanks, Nancy. I need to put this one on the spring dinner rotation for sure. 😉 I know you will enjoy it!!
Wow what a wonderful spring-time dish. I love anything topped with an egg, too. 🙂
Thank you! The egg is definitely the something-something icing on the cake. 🙂