I have had this recipe from nancycreative.com bookmarked to try for a long time. I am always looking for new and tasty ways to enjoy my super-ripe bananas and the maple syrup drizzle in this recipe sounded absolutely delicious.
Ironically, when I assembled the muffins, I decided to top them with turbinado sugar prior to baking instead of using maple syrup. “What!?!?” you say? Well, you are not alone. It was a mistake… My entire family revolted. 😉 We enjoyed them immensely with both the turbinado sugar and the maple syrup!
As well as the additional sugar topping, I also adapted the original recipe to incorporate whole wheat flour and rolled oats. Great.
Yield: Makes 10 muffins
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 3 T canola oil (or light olive oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- turbinado sugar, optional, for topping
- pure Maple Syrup, optional, for drizzling over muffins (about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per muffin)
- Preheat oven to 375˚F, preferably on convection. Line a muffin pan with 10 (parchment) paper liners; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In medium bowl, mix mashed bananas, oil, egg, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract, blending well.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 375˚F for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire rack or serve warm.
- Right before serving, lightly drizzle some maple syrup on top, if desired.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago:
- Banana-Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Whole Wheat Banana Streusel Muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins