I made this quick one-pot dish so that my son could gobble it up before his swim practice. After practice, he used my husband’s phone to text me (repeatedly), “I’m starving! I need more ONE POT!!” He absolutely loved it. Needless to say, he ate all of the leftovers. 🙂
This recipe was adapted from Food and Wine. I lightened the recipe by using ground turkey instead of ground pork. I also used arborio rice. My serving had additional fresh lime juice squeezed all over the top. Tasty!
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon canola or sunflower oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground pork or turkey
- 3/4 cup short-grain rice (I used arborio rice)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 scallions including green tops, chopped, plus more for garnish
- radishes, cut into thin slices, to taste, for garnish
- 5 tablespoons chopped cilantro or fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- juice from about 1 lime, plus lime wedges for garnish
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. (I used a 4-quart covered pan.)
- Add the bell peppers, shiitakes, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove.
- Add the ground meat to the pan and cook, stirring, until it is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Spoon off the fat from the pan, if using pork. Season with 1/4 tsp of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Stir in the bell peppers and shiitakes, the rice, broth, soy sauce, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the cayenne.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, without removing the lid, until the rice is just done, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the scallions, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Garnish with additional lime wedges, radishes, cilantro, and scallion slices, as desired. Serve.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago: