More… Salmon! Easy and delicious. Grilled too. 🙂
This post is really belated. We ate these yummy sandwiches on Memorial Day… Thank goodness it’s still fabulous grilling weather! They were such a great alternative to standard holiday grilling menu items.
I served these sandwiches with German Potato Salad with Dill and Pasta Salad with Peas and Summer Beans on the side. For dessert, we enjoyed a Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie (a family favorite!), Milk Bar Sugar Cookie-Cake Squares, and ice cream, of course! I almost forgot to mention our New York Soft Pretzel appetizer- yikes! It really was an All-American feast.
This recipe was adapted from a Food and Wine “staff-favorite” recipe, contributed by Marcia Kiesel. I served the sandwiches on brioche rolls but would opt for potato rolls next time. Too much bread for me! 😉
Yield: Serves 4
For the Glaze & Salmon:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish, drained
- 2 tablespoons honey
- four 6-ounce skinless salmon fillets
- canola oil, for rubbing
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Light a grill.
- In a small bowl, mix the mustard, horseradish and honey.
- Rub the salmon with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the salmon over moderate heat, skinned side down, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Turn and grill for 3 minutes longer, until the salmon is almost cooked through.
- Turn the salmon again and spread each fillet with 1 tablespoon of the horseradish glaze.
- Turn and grill until glazed, about 30 seconds.
- Serve the remaining glaze on the sandwiches, below.
Note: As with any sweet glaze, brush the honey-horseradish-mustard sauce on the salmon in the last minutes of grilling, or else the sugars in it might burn.
For the Sandwiches:
- 4 kaiser, brioche, challah, or potato rolls—split, toasted and buttered
- 4 red lettuce leaves
- 8 thick bacon slices, cooked until crisp, as below
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, cut into 12 thin slices
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, preferably on convection.
- Place the bacon in a single layer, divided between 2- 9×13-inch pyrex dishes.
- Bake for 30 or 35 minutes, until crisp. Remove from pans and place on a paper towel-lined, rimmed baking sheet to drain.
- Spread the remaining horseradish glaze from the Grilled Glazed Salmon on the rolls.
- Place a lettuce leaf, 2 crispy bacon strips and 3 slices of Granny Smith apple on each buttered roll and set a salmon fillet on top.
- Close the sandwiches and serve.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago: