I have received an exorbitant amount of Swiss chard in my CSA box so far this season. It’s a good thing that I absolutely love it! and… Who doesn’t love chard when it’s combined with fabulous cheese?!?!
This recipe was adapted from Bon Appetit, contributed by Gabriela Camara. I have made these quesadillas a couple of times with my CSA greens, using both raw milk extra (extra) sharp yellow cheddar (from Trader Joe’s) as well as Cabot extra sharp 3-year aged white cheddar. I have also used combination of greens including Swiss chard, turnip greens, beet greens, as well as baby bok choy.
I adapted the recipe by increasing the garlic as well as using a red onion, whole wheat flour tortillas, and chipotle salsa, avocados, fresh lime, and sour cream, for serving. I also microwaved the assembled quesadillas for a quick dinner! We ate them with refried beans on the side. Delicious.
Yield: Serves 4 for dinner or up to 8 as an appetizer
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as canola
- ½ medium white or red onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 10 ounces Swiss chard, ribs and stems removed, or a combination of greens including beet, turnip, or bok choy, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- coarse salt
- 6 ounces Toma cheese or sharp cheddar, grated (about 2 cups)
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas
- Salsa Roja, Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa Verde, or Trader Joe’s Chipotle Salsa, for serving
- avocado slices and lime wedges, for serving, optional
- sour cream, for serving, optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 6–8 minutes.
- Add greens a handful at a time, letting wilt slightly before adding more. Pour in ½ cup water and cook, tossing occasionally, until greens are tender, 6–8 minutes.
- Add lime juice; season with salt. Transfer to a plate; let cool.
- Assemble the quesadillas: Place on tortilla on a large plate. Mound grated cheddar on top and spread evenly. Top with sautéed greens and another tortilla.
- Microwave for 1 minute, 35 seconds on high.
- Remove and slice into pieces. Repeat until all filling is used.
- Serve immediately with sliced avocado, prepared salsa, and sour cream, as desired.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago: