Most people make carrot cake in the springtime… I make it in the fall to celebrate my mom’s birthday. 🙂 It’s one of her absolute favorites. I have made this yummy version several times- they are special and delicious.
This recipe was adapted from Barefoot Contessa Parties! Ideas and Recipes for Easy Parties that are Really Fun by Ina Garten. I cut the recipe in half to make 12 cupcakes, adjusted the baking times for a convection oven, and used the orange cream-cheese frosting from my favorite (springtime) orange chiffon bunny cake.
Fabulous! A true gold standard. Happy Birthday, Mom. ❤ ❤
Yield: Makes 12 cupcakes
For the Cake:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 1/2 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 2 T beaten egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots (less than 1/2 pound)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For the Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 stick, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (I used light cream cheese)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- grated orange zest, from about 1/3 of a large orange, about 3/4 tsp
- pinch of coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
To Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, preferably on convection.
- Beat the sugar, oil, and vanilla together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add the egg, mix to combine. Repeat with the additional 2 T of beaten egg.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low-speed, add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Add the grated carrots, raisins, and walnuts to the remaining flour, mix well, and add to the batter. Mix until just combined.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the batter into 12 muffin cups until each is 3/4 full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Cook an additional 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a rack.
To Make the Frosting:
- Cream the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add the zest and salt, beat to combine.
- Add the sugar and beat until smooth.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Note: If the recipe is doubled, 3 large eggs can be used to make 22 to 24 cupcakes.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago:
Four Years Ago: