I love a fresh herb sauce. This Middle Eastern variation on a classic salsa verde brightened up the grilled fish. We ate it over brown Basmati rice with sautéed collard greens and green kale on the side.
This dish was adapted from Bon Appetit, contributed by Alon Shaya. I used homemade za’atar. I also used swordfish in lieu of red snapper, grilling instead of broiling, and modified the proportions in the salsa verde. Healthy and tasty. 🙂
Yield: Serves 2
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 6-ounce swordfish steaks, patted dry
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ⅓ cup loosely packed cilantro, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup loosely packed parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated or chopped
- 3/4 teaspoons za’atar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Toast pine nuts in a 400 degree oven (I used a toaster oven.) or a dry small skillet over medium-low heat, tossing often, until golden and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let cool. Coarsely chop, if desired.
- Heat a gas grill or broiler. Season fish with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with coriander.
- Drizzle 1 T oil onto one side of the fish, flip and repeat on the opposite side. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill fish until cooked through, about 3-4 min per side for a 1″ thick steak. (Alternatively, place fish on a small rimmed baking sheet and broil until cooked through, about 8–10 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, mix together cilantro, parsley, garlic, za’atar, red pepper flakes, and remaining 4 T olive oil in a mini food processor or small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir lemon juice and pine nuts into salsa verde and spoon over fish.
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago:
Four Years Ago:
Looks really good. Love salsa verde.
I LOVE salsa verde too, of course! 😉 We have the same taste!
A great recipe and beautiful presentation!
Thank you so much. 🙂 🙂
I bought some Za’atar well over a month ago and have yet to cook with it! Perhaps I’ll make something like this with a whitefish soon. Sounds delicious!
This is such a quick & yummy sauce- I hope you get a chance to try it! I think it would work with any whitefish or even over chicken breasts.
That is a beautiful meal. I love seeing all that green!
🙂 🙂 I love my CSA share!