Spaghetti Pie with Wild Mushrooms & Spinach
This is a cheesy and delicious vegetarian comfort food dish. The pie was inspired by roadside diner spaghetti sandwiches in New Zealand! 🙂
This recipe was adapted from Food and Wine, contributed by Gail Simmons. I increased the amount of garlic and spinach and modified the baking time for a convection oven. I used a combination of cremini and shiitake mushrooms. Wonderful.
- Preheat the oven to 425°, preferably on convection. Tightly wrap the outside of
a 9-inch springform pan with foil and brush the inside with butter or spray with cooking oil.
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the spaghetti
until barely al dente; drain.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until sizzling, about 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Scrape into a bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Incorporate all of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Scrape spinach into the mushrooms and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk.
- Add the spaghetti, mushroom mixture, 3 cheeses, sage, thyme, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper; mix well.
- Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Set the pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes in a convection oven or 35 minutes in a standard oven, until bubbling and the top
- Let stand for 15 minutes. Remove the ring, cut
the pie into wedges and serve.
I’m sharing my pie at Angie’s Fiesta Friday #196, co-hosted by Jhuls @The Not So Creative Cook and Antonia @ Zoale.com. Enjoy!
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago:
Four Years Ago:
Posted in Casserole, Greens, Pasta, Recipes, Vegetarian
Tags: cremini, dinner, Fiesta Friday, fontina, Gail Simmons, Italian, mushrooms, New Zealand, Parmigiano Reggiano, pie, pot luck, ricotta, sage, shiitake, spaghetti, spinach, thyme, vegetarian, wild mushrooms