I loved these wholesome, naturally sweetened muffins more than everyone else in my house. The cookbook described them as “a great alternative to a heavier banana bread.” Agreed! 🙂
This recipe was adapted from Kathleen’s Bake Shop Cookbook: The Best Recipes from Southampton’s Favorite Bakery for Homestyle Cookies, Cakes, Pies, Muffins, and Breads by Kathleen King, founder of Tate’s Bake Shop. I substituted whole wheat flour for half of the all-purpose flour and wheat bran for the wheat germ.
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ or wheat bran
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed, fully ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, preferably on convection.
- Grease 12 standard muffin cups with cooking oil spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, wheat germ/bran, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter. Add honey, vanilla, and mashed banana.
- Add butter mixture to flour mixture and mix lightly.
- Spoon mixture evenly into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of one comes out clean.
One Year Ago: Applesauce Oatmeal Bread
Two Years Ago: No-Knead Bread from Sullivan Street Bakery
Three Years Ago:
Four Years Ago:
Five Years Ago: