This wonderful side dish had the incredible nutty flavor from browned butter in every bite. It was a lovely way to enjoy my beautiful CSA corn and zucchini this week. 🙂
This dish was adapted from Meatless Sheet Pan Suppers: 100 Surprising Vegetarian Meals Straight from the Oven by Raquel Pelzel. I added an extra ear of corn and used Trader Joe’s Harvest Grain Blend, a combination of Israeli couscous, red quinoa, orzo, and split dried garbanzo beans, instead of Israeli couscous alone. Great!
Yield: Serves 6
- 4 T (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 to 4 ears fresh corn, shucked and kernels sliced off the cob
- 1 large zucchini, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups Israeli couscous or Trader Joe’s Harvest Grain Blend
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, stacked, rolled, and thinly sliced into ribbons
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees, preferably on convection.
- Place the butter on a rimmed sheet pan and set it in the oven until the butter melts and smells toasty and nutty, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and spoon about 2 tablespoons of the browned butter into a small heatproof bowl.
- Stir the corn and zucchini into the remaining butter on the sheet pan, along with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cook until the zucchini softens and the corn loses its raw starchiness, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the corn mixture to a large bowl and season with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste.
- Add the couscous to the pan alone with the boiling water and the remaining teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine, and wearing oven mitts, cover the sheet pan with aluminum foil (you may need 2 sheets), crimping it tightly around the edges to seal.
- Bake couscous for 10 minutes, remove the foil, stir the couscous, re-cover the pan, and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, or until the couscous is plump and tender.
- Transfer the couscous to the bowl with the corn mixture.
- Add the reserved browned butter and most of the basil. Stir to combine and adjust the seasonings as necessary.
- Serve sprinkled with remaining basil.